Friday, July 2, 2010

Fabric Key Chains

These are so much fun to make! And the best part is, you don't have to order any supplies online to make this version. This is a very basic tutorial showing the first one I made. Feel free to make yours longer, shorter, wider or thinner. I plan on making lots more to sell in my Etsy shop and at the Pendleton Farmer's Market.



Supplies:
Scraps of Fabric
Fusible Interfacing- medium to heavy weight
Oval Ring
Key Ring



Cut out all your pieces.
2 pieces of fabric 1 3/4 x 9" (make the width the same as your oval ring)
2 pieces of interfacing 1 1/2 x 8 1/2 (this cuts down on bulk in seam allowances)


Fuse your interfacing to the wrong side of your fabrics.

Put fabrics right sides together and stitch down both long sides, leaving both short ends open. Turn it right side out and press. This is where you should topstitch down each long side. I am pointing this out because I forgot to do it on mine and it is bugging me now.
Another option if you are making narrower keychains, is to sew just 1 long side, then press under the seam allowance on the other long side and stitch it up. I'll try to post a picture of what I'm talking about here later when I make one that way.


Now, put the fabric strip through your oval ring and fold it in half. Tip: put the side of the oval ring where the ends meet towards the outside. Stitch the ends of the strip together.
Now, turn it so that the seam is on the inside. I scooted my seam down a little bit so it wasn't directly on the top.


Topstitch over the seam close to the oval ring to hold everything in place.
Add your keyring and keys and you are all done!



A few things I noticed only AFTER I looked at this picture:
1) What is that blue plastic thing and how long has it been taking up space on my keychain?
2) I forgot to topstitch and it is really bugging me!
3) Why do I have to have 10 different discount cards just to get the sale prices at stores. Ok, so 1 is my library card, and 2 of them I only shop at a few times a year, but don't want to have to fill out another form every time I go.

2 comments:

pamela richey said...

Very cute, this is such a great idea!! Wish I was fast enough to make one for a bday gift tomorrow. I will surely keep this in mind. Thanks!

Yekti said...

may I copy your idea?