Sunday, June 10, 2012

Baked Beans

Not that I really think anyone is reading a blog I only post on once a year now, but if I don't put the recipe here, I know I will lose it.  And heaven knows I won't remember it the next time I'm ready to make them even though I can tell myself I will remember and don't need to write it down.

Finally made baked beans that we all liked.  Sorry, no picture....  I realize this is a massive amount of beans, but I started with the huge #10 can of pork and beans from Sam's because that is where I was and honestly, they only cost $3.88 so I would have spent the same amount of money buying several smaller cans somewhere else.

# 10 can pork and beans
2 cups bbq sauce (I used 1 cup Jay's mustard sauce and 1 cup original sauce)
1 onion (diced)
2 cloves fresh garlic (minced)
½ cup brown sugar
6 slices bacon
1 tbsp chili seasoning
1/8 tsp chili powder

Fry and chop up the bacon. Remove from pan. Add 1 tbsp oil (or bacon drippings) to a pan and sauté diced onion and minced garlic over medium heat until onions are soft. Mix together bbq sauce, brown sugar, chili seasoning, and chili powder. Drain most of the juice from the pork and beans. Mix beans, bacon, bbq sauce mixture, onion, and garlic together in a baking dish. Cover and bake @ 300F for 1 hour.

Notes:
* I would have added some diced jalapeno or other pepper if I had any already, but I didn't and didn't want to buy 10 at Sam's when I would only use 1.
* I might try making beans from scratch next time, just because I felt they were kinda mushy and overcooked by the time I cooked them long enough to let all the flavors mingle together.

2 comments:

thea said...

You're on my blogger reader so I'll see your posts whenever they show up .. nice recipe. I'd be interested in how they turn out if you make them from scratch.

pamela richey said...

I read them too thanks to your handy "subscribe by email" option. I may try these and blow Bucky's mind. He will be so proud of me for making baked beans.