Tuesday, October 20, 2009

All Purpose Cleaner Recipe

Well, so far the chemical elimination is going well. It really seems to be helping Abby's eczema clear up. At least we haven't had as many flare-ups in the past week. I am sure there are still all kinds of chemical irritants in our house, but it will just take time to get everything washed and cleaned to remove old residues that are hanging around. Aly is constantly on the attack when she sees me cleaning. I made up my own cleaner but didn't tell her. She saw me spraying it on the bathroom sink to clean it and said "What are you doing?!? That is a CHEMICAL and will make my little sister itch!" I told her I couldn't just NOT clean so I made a homemade cleaner and I didn't put anything in it that would make Abby itch. Here is what I have been using.





All Purpose Cleaner Recipe

1 teaspoon Washing Soda
1 teaspoon Borax
2 teaspoons lemon juice or white vinegar

Washing Soda is generally the hardest ingredient to find, but I know you can get it at Ingles and I think Publix has it also. I have seen Borax at Bi-Lo, Wal-Mart, Ingles, possibly Publix also.


Put in a spray bottle and fill with water. I think my bottle holds around 34 oz. Yes, I guess these are still technically chemicals, but, theses do not irritate my baby girl's skin like commercial cleaners do. This works great as a general purpose cleaner. It actually cleans better than the Lysol 4 in 1 spray that I always used before. It worked wonders on the textured handle of the refrigerator that never seemed to get completely white before no matter what I used. I use it to clean bathroom sinks, toilets, kitchen sinks, cabinet doors, countertops, etc.

No comments: