Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Wood Halloween Pendants

Wow, 2 posts in one week.  School has been keeping me very busy so there has been very little crafting in my life the past couple of months, much less blogging about what I make.  Here is a super quick and easy craft just in time for Halloween.  I will be making some more durable Christmas ones to sell at a craft show on the weekend after Thanksgiving in McConnells, SC. 

Supplies (all from Hobby Lobby): Mod Podge, Scrapbook Paper, 1" wooden disks, and larger jump rings. 

Cut out round pieces about the same size as your wooden disks.  I glued them down with Mod Podge.  Then I sanded down any edges that might be hanging off.  That was easier than getting the circles cut perfectly.  I put 2 coats of Mod Podge on top of each one.  Use Triple Thick on top if you have the 3 or so days to wait for them to dry.  It will be more durable than Mod Podge, but since it is already so close to Halloween, I went the fast route for these.

Drill a small hole close to the top, slide your jump ring through, and pinch closed.  My jump rings were big enough and bent easily enough I didn't even have to go find pliers!

Slip them onto a piece of cording and pass them out to your little girls best friends who just so happen to live in the neighborhood.  Pumpkin for Abby, Bat for Aly, Ghost for Taylor, and Frankenstein for Evelyn.

It took me just 3 hours which included driving to the store where I saw the inspirational halloween scrapbook paper, tracked down wooden disks and jump rings, picked the girls up from school, made an afternoon snack, did homework with both girls, cooked supper, found the drill, charged the dead battery for the drill, and finally delivered the finished necklaces.

Total cost not including Mod Podge or cording $4.42 and you will have enough to make 12 with lots of jump rings left over.

2 comments:

Angel Ruff said...

Sooo cute! Evelyn loves hers so much she wore it to school today.
Thanks!

The Richey's said...

You inspired me, Becky!!!! I thought these were such a cute idea, I copied it...somewhat. I wanted to make something for Phoebe and Blaine's classmates. So I bought the little badge pins and hot glued them to the back of the wooden discs. I bought the wrong sized disc, but it was all I could find in bulk since I needed like 40 of them. So my cut outs were smaller than the disc. It doesn't look as good as yours, but I felt so crafty when I was done. Since I had so many to do and needed a reason, I spurged and bought a round hole punch. Yep, that upped my budget a bit. I had been wanting one for a while. That made it WAY faster than hnad cutting 40 circles. I will post pictures on my blog. Thanks for the wonderful idea!!!