Saturday, May 1, 2010

Feedsack and Family quilt

Well, I finally finished the quilt I was making for MYSELF!

This was also a very frugal quilt. I only spent less than $15 total, including the thread. Now I wouldn't pay even that for a plain throw to use for myself on the couch, but to be able to produce a piece of living history to use and then maybe pass on to another family member one day, I think that is pretty thrifty.

I started with a quilt that came from somewhere on my Daddy's side of the family. With it's solid fabric top and 4 random pieced fabrics on the back, this was definately a quilt made out of necesity not one to be used for display somewhere. Jay and I used it on our bed in the winter until last year when it was too badly torn to use anymore. I couldn't very well just throw it away, I had to re-use it for something. So, I took pictures, then carefully disassembled it. I used the blanket that was in the middle for my batting, and also one of the large pieces of white from the back for the border of my quilt. After cleaning this piece really well, I could make out the shape of an eagle with it's wings spread and the words Corn Starch, but only vaguely.

I also had some gorgeous fabrics from my Great Aunt Bertha, my Mama's aunt. The solid dark teal, the white print, and the teal flowers (my favorite of all) are all from her fabric stash. So is the lighter teal binding. Apparently she had used the solid teal, teal flowers and lighter teal to make something out of and these were the scraps. The white one with the print was an actual feedsack, still sewn up. How cool is that!

So like any good quiltmaker or sewer, I decided to use all of these family pieces along with a few of my own to make a new quilt. I purchased the red fabric at
Heirlooms and Comforts quilt shop in Central, SC, and Donna at Mudpies and Memories with a little help from Angel helped me choose the green paisley backing at Hobby Lobby. Donna really had to convince me to buy it and even promise to buy it from me if I hated it the next day. It ended up being the perfect fit for the quilt. Except for the fact that I should have bought 3 yards but miscalculated and thought I only needed 2 yards. Oops! So, along came the stripe running down one side of the back, which I also turned out to absolutely love. Reminds me of a railroad track.

Almost forgot, this is the first quilt I have ever actually machine quilted. I string tied both of the quilts I made for the girls. I love the look of actual quilting and how they get all crinkly after washing them.

Whew, I finally have all of this documented so that when I am old and senile or laying somewhere with daisies growing on top of me, whoever ends up with this quilt will know the history of it. I have also completed another one of my goals for the new year to finish at least one quilt this year.

I think I'll be sticking to clothing for a while now. Aly is loving being a designer and having expensive taste in fabric designers, mainly Amy Butler and Michael Miller. What can I say the girl definately knows a good thing when she sees it.

1 comment:

Donna @ Mudpies & Memories said...

I love the name you finally decided on for the quilt. Now don't forget to put the label on it!!!

As for the shortage of backing fabric -- I think it was meant to be. The pieced backing is great!